Friday, March 6, 2015

Too Busy to Teach

As a special education teacher and non-traditional department head, I have MANY responsibilities. Aside from teaching 6 classes a day, I have the responsibility of what we call a Lead Teacher as well as being the point of contact for the department. My days consist of instructing and multitasking. I could be in the middle of teaching a lesson, and someone will barge in or call needing me for something. It's one thing for my unstable students to interrupt me, but for adults to see me doing my job but still continue irks me fully. I know I have to split time between students and my other responsibilities, so I ALWAYS entertain my coworkers and their concerns.

This week, our regular Lead Teacher was out due to bereavement, therefore all of her duties fell right into my lap. She called me on Tuesday to ask if I would conduct 5 meetings for her by Thursday. I didn't think I could do it, but I did somehow. I usually don't like to toss my students on computers while I work, but I hate to say that I've done that all week. At first I felt bad about the situation, but then I realized that sometimes the lessons done on the computer are just as beneficial as if they were delivered by a teacher. The students have many options of educational lessons to do, and there are even assessments that I can use for my data records. As the weeks progress, I'm starting to see the many options of technology. I'm even seeing myself use it more and more in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment