Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Technology Takeover

The more I interact with my students and the more I learn about integrating technology, the more I begin to understand the need for it. I teach special education, so all of my students perform below grade level. I make it my duty to at least introduce them to the grade level standards, and still have high expectations. Aside from the grade level work, I feel the need for remediation. I utilize a lot of time working with them on basic reading and math skills. In order for them to continue learning with the hopes of one day performing on grade level, they will have to improve with the basic concepts missed. I share a classroom with one other teacher who teaches special education as well. We work very well together, although our teaching styles are very different. I work better in front of the class, teaching using hand gestures, lots of energy, and the dry-erase board. She works better either in small groups, or by assigning students computer programs to use. For years, I viewed the computer use as a way of taking the easy way out. This year, I'm starting to see things a bit differently. We have one particular student who has a tough time focusing and learning anything, whether it's on grade level or below grade level. The only thing he likes to do is play computer games and cuss me out when I don't allow him to. She continues to allow him to use the computer, but we try to train him to complete his virtual math and reading lessons first before he gets free time. He will do the math, but the reading is like pulling teeth. Since the students have been spending more structured learning time on the computer, they've been more focused and eager to learn in class. The basic skills are covered through the computer activities, so that gives me more time to teach. I can also use the computer time as a good incentive to get the students working on a consistent basis. Thanks technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment