Sunday, March 15, 2015

Test Prep

Sooooo these days, the entire school has been quickly preparing for the upcoming GA Milestones test. All of the teachers are nervous because they don't know much about it. I'm a bit apprehensive myself, but I'm trying to prepare the students the best I can. The majority of the students will be testing via technology due to their read aloud accommodations, so I've been looking for online computer programs designed to train and prepare students for testing. I think early preparation is a good idea seeing how they have issues with short term memory. Lately I've been teaching the standards while being focused on repetition to help my students with remembering what they learned. I feel that this year has been my best year so far as a teacher, so I want to cap it off with good test scores from my students. My principal gave me compliments on my students' scores from last year, so this time around I want to do even better. Based on my teaching and their work ethic, I definitely think it's possible. I think it will be hard to steer away from the standards for a couple of weeks, but I think I will get the hang of it after awhile. As much as I would like to solely focus on the upcoming testing, I don't think I'll be able to focus on it completely without getting into trouble with administration. What I've been considering is to split time between the two somehow. I could teach for half of the period and allow the students to practice for the remaining half. I possibly could alternate days, which might be a logical decision. Either way, I will begin to get my students prepared. I need to get them excited about the test and dedicated to performing well. How will I do this? First of all, whenever I speak about the GA Milestones test, I'll need to speak with excitement. I will also have to explain why the test is so important and what positive results could come from earning a high score. It'll be like GA Milestones boot camp, and I'll be playing the role of drill sergeant!

No comments:

Post a Comment