Sunday, March 29, 2015

Weekend Job

On the weekends, I work in the technology department for my church. It's a job I don't need, but I've been doing it for 10 years, so I keep at it for now. I operate the screens, so I'm responsible for designing the presentations and displaying them properly. I also work as a back-up camera operator. My role is quite basic, but tedious. I take much pride in what I do, and my perfectionist side always shows. In 10 years, we've seen so many people come and go. From camera men, to audio engineers, we've seen a lot of employee turnover. With all that said, I'm amazed every time I show up at work. The other guys use the video switchers, the live streaming connections, Facebook to check the social media comments, and Pro Tools for editing purposes. We have screens and monitors all over the church. I've always wondered how someone has the ability to get all of these machines working together as one big unit. We didn't start off with this very expensive set up, but with growing trends comes expansion for us too. The technology department started off with just a home video camera and a device to record cassette tapes. Now we can do just about anything, and the cool part is that most of the crew aren't even professionals. We've just doing what we enjoy doing with the little talent that we have. Technology is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment